(Post 6) I've watched a new film

(POST SIX)

I'VE WATCHED A NEW FILM


Detour (2016)





Harper (has Tye Sheridan), a seemingly naive law student, obsesses over the idea that his shifty stepfather was involved on the devastating car crash that left his mother hospitalised and comatose. He drowns his suspicions in whiskey until he finds himself suddenly engrossed in conversation with volatile grifter Johnny (Memory Cohen) and his stripper companion, Cherry (Bel Powley). As daylight breaks and the haziness of promises made becomes clearer, how will Harper handle the repercussions - not to mention the violent duo on his doorstep)? Employing a split narrative structure to tell this tale of deception and murder, Christopher Smith takes his audience on a thrill ride full of hairpin turn, where it's never quite clear what or who can be trusted. 
I had never heard or seen anything about this film, there was no promotional material and it wasn't played in cinema so after I watched the trailer, I immediately watched the film. This meant that when I watched the film I had very little information or idea about what was going to happen, this made the film all the more exciting because I hadn't seen any spoilers or reviews that would dampen the experience, as well as having very few expectations. 

I really enjoyed the use of the split screen throughout the movie, it kept me engaged because it was unclear whether the events were happening simultaneously or not.
I also really enjoyed the split narrative structure because it kept me guessing, which is very important in the thriller genre, the audience are constantly weary and on edge trying to figure out and understand what has happened and what will happen next. I think the film's aesthetic was unique and exciting, but also matched the dark and gripping mood of the film. The film also moved really fast and there was no room to feel bored, the camera work was flawless and it had suspense throughout which kept me enthralled. But, I think what made this film stand out most was the acting, the three main actors: Tye Sheridan, Bel Powley and Emory Cohen were fantastic, completely convincing,  and had great chemistry making the story believable and easy to watch. 

Although I really enjoyed the film, there were moments that were unnecessary and didn't add anything to the storyline. I think there could have been better dialogue at some parts to make it a little more realistic and believable, but I think where there was a lack of dialogue, the acting made up for it. This film received mixed reviews, but most admired the acting and the storyline, it score 6.2/10 on iMDB which is a respectable rating, but after watching this movie twice, I think it deserves more due to the acting, camera work, storyline, editing and it's complete originality. 

I loved the use of the split screen because it is so unusual and rarely used in film, so I would like to somehow incorporate this into my short because it would make it that little more interesting and individual. I would also like to give my protagonist a brightly coloured costume (like the jacket that Harper wears throughout) to make them stand out against the setting, but to also make it more memorable. This all depends on the actual storyline of my short, but I would like to make it more character based than story based, as I think this film was. I highly recommend this film because I loved it and found it a really easy watch. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rehearsal footage - final edit

evaluative analysis of my short film.